Sunday 15 January 2012

Jimmy and Jey to Save the Day


The Uso's - The Future of the Tag-Team Division
Written by Hollywood Hinchcliffe
AirBoom have now held the Tag-Team Championships since August 15th, and this is for one sole reason – there is no one else to take it off their hands.
When I first saw AirBoom I can admit I was intrigued and quietly hopeful that WWE were planning a big push on the Tag-Team division. Hell, I even enjoyed some of AirBoom’s early matches, but after seeing the exact same thing week after week, I quickly became bored.
Don’t get me wrong, I would have preferred to count rice than to watch another Otunga/McGillicutty match. Is match even the right word? Maybe “happening” fits better, as match would imply that something mildly interesting was going to happen. But after seven long months (did you read that in The Rock’s voice? I do hope so) of AirBoom, Déjà vu seems to have occurred in the form of the repetitive combination of The Boom Drop and Airbourne. Granted two impressive finishers, but doesn’t quite seem to get the same response as a 3D, which brings me nicely on to my next point.
The Dudley Boyz, The Hardy Boyz, Edge & Christian, The Rock N Sock Connection, Eugene and William Regal – just a few of the many great tag teams from WWE past (okay maybe not the latter). I can hardly see David Otunga and Michael McGillicutty being remembered for their hardcore personalities and unforgettable matches (or any personality for that matter). Even the likes of The Spirit Squad provided more entertainment on the basis that you got to watch five people (I refuse to call them wrestlers) get their asses kicked instead of the normal two. There was potential for an interesting tag team between The Miz and R-Truth, but that dream was quickly shattered when they began feuding.
However, do not fear WWE Universe, the saviours of this near defunct division are upon us, in the form of two brothers, namely: The Uso’s.
I was lucky enough to watch The Uso’s in a dark match when I went to see WWE Raw, and they were levels above anything that I’ve seen on WWE Superstars recently. They have the personality, they have the skills, they even have the Hakka. Not to mention they are part of the hugely famous “Samoan Wrestling Family” whose members include Rikishi, Umaga and the one and only Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. This fact alone makes them a damn sight more interesting than any partnerships we’ve seen in the past year. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe The Uso’s are the sole saviours of the tag team division, but hopefully they can be the catalyst behind reigniting the Tag-Team division.
I just hope that Mr McMahon, oh sorry, I mean John Lauranitis, or do I mean the Raw anonymous GM? Anyway, that’s another topic for another day. I can only hope that the ‘Senior Members’ in WWE will realise the potential of the partnership of The Uso’s and put it to good use.
And with that I believe there is only one more thing to say…
D-VON… GET THE TABLES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment